View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #78
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Why do Ford think that all people buying the Mondeo Titanium TDCi wants "Sport Suspension" fair enough on the XR5 but I prefer a suspension thats tuned towards a comfortable ride and on 17" wheels especially with the pathetic roads we have in Sydney hows sport suspension is going to help me along Parramatta road
Well Apstar, the Mondeo suspension situation is more complicated than you might imagine. You do not want the "Sports" suspension unless you live in Germany or handling is a real priority for you. In NZ, all Mondeos with standard suspension are sold with 16" wheels, either steel for the base model or alloys for the Zetec. The sports suspension was an option on the Zetec with 17" wheels or standard with 18" wheels on the XR5.

I fitted a set of Ford 17" wheels last year with Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres to replace the stock 16" steel wheels. The grip was great on smooth roads, but it destroyed the handling on the bumpy, coarse chip seal roads that pass for State Highways in NZ. So I'm now running a set of 16" alloy wheels (MAK from Italy) with Falken F K 452 tyres and am very happy.

So, my conclusion is that the standard suspension was tuned to work best with 16" wheels. And you certainly don't want the Sports suspension with 18" wheels in country Oz or NZ and want a comfortable ride.