View Single Post
Old 19-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #923
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
The 2.3 ecoboost engine is an awesome bit of gear but personally I’d still be choosing the diesel even if the ecoboost is eventually offered. The 2.3 is running 233Kw/433Nm and the 2.0 is 157Kw/500Nm. The torque is nearing Amaroks V6.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the 2.3 has to run a minimum octane of 95? If it does then good luck at times in remote areas sourcing it - We rocked up to a remote community in WA and there were 3 petrol vehicles that had been there for 3 days waiting for the fuel truck. It was probably only 91 anyway.
I was running a 400ci turbo diesel V8 in a shorty 40 that they all thought was the fuel truck coming into camp (exhaust was a 1 metre side pipe ). They were all very disappointed when they raced across.

If the Raptor will be used to see every corner of Oz then the diesel is a no brainer. The 2 litre will have more power than you’ll need through that 10 speed and it will use bugger all fuel which is great when travelling. Once off road the 33” tyres under the FOX suspension will be a blast.
For all the negatives of petrol availability in remote outback areas, there is a flip side to running diesel. These late model high pressure common rail diesel engines are extremely susceptible to poor diesel quality. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these engines are designed to run on ULSD. You're at the mercy of the service station owner keep fuel tanks clean and replacing the dispenser fuel filters on a regular basis. Trust me, I work in the fuel industry, the only time the filters are replaced is when the pumps stop flowing diesel at a fast enough rate.

You'd want to make sure you have a good fuel filtration system in the Ranger with some of the junk fuel around.
This user likes this post: