View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #13
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: car parking antics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
It also seams Im the only one who will reverse into parks when possible. So much quicker and easier. Plus it's safer to reverse into a known clear space rather than reverse out into an unknown flow of traffic. Not to mention people opposite you who reverse out without looking behind. They just check for cross traffic then reverse out.
Some workplaces I've been to have adopted this rule as part of OH&S. It makes sense when people straggle into work over the course of an hour, but all try to leave at once (ensuring chaos as they all try to back out into each other). But you're right - it's far safer to visually check the spot immediately before reversing in, than to back out into the unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Problem with reversing into a spot at a supermarket is that when returning with a trolley full of groceries your boot is furthest away. Plus someone else has likely parked right up your ****.
Easily solved with clever design (but needs more real estate).
A couple of 80s era shopping centres near me have a wide pathway down the middle of the adjacent rows of cars to keep pedestrians (and trolleys) off the roadways. So instead of having cars in nose-to-nose rows, there's a good 3m between them.

Works very well, and encourages everyone to reverse into the spots, as you can wheel the trolley right to the boot. One downside is getting stuck behind a new licence holder who can do 40 in a school zone, but has never been taught how to reverse into a 90° rear-to-kerb spot....

But I make a point of going there when I need to get heavy stuff in the trolley (like boxes of drink) as it's so much easier.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: