View Single Post
Old 14-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #37
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Insuring a modified car?

Why I decided to pay more and stick with the RACV.

Some years ago, my modded and tuned FG XR6T was parked outside an Autobarn store.
As I come out of the store, some guy who had hired a 'rent-a-truck', which was bigger than he could handle, reversed into the back of my car, scraping the bumper and rear spoiler.

We exchange details, I have witnesses, and he admits fault.

An hour later, back home, I ring the RACV to put in a claim.
No forms to fill in, the whole claims process is done over the phone.

The claims advisor, asks when I would like my car repaired?

I say as soon as possible of course.

She books me in for 2.00pm that afternoon at their RACV 'state of the art' repair centre a few kilometres from my home. (They have many in Vic).

I take the car there, a beautiful 5-star reception awaits me, and the pretty hostess asks if I'd like a nice cup of brewed coffee and biscuits while I wait for the accessor.
I sit and wait sipping my latte while watching TV in their comfy lounge room.
(They also have work desks if you prefer to do some work on a laptop or plug in your phone to recharge, etc).

If she asked me if I wanted a massage, I would have jumped at it... She looked like the Toyota girl currently on TV.

Accessor comes out, accesses the car, and books it in for repair... Will be ready in a week.

They then arrange a Taxi to take me to Hertz. (Paid for by the RACV).

I get to Hertz, the RACV have already arranged and paid for a hire car for me.

One day before my Falcon is due to be ready, the RACV repair centre rings me to say my car is available and finished earlier than expected, and I can pick it up if I want to.

I drive the hire car back to Hertz... The RACV arrange and pay for a Taxi to take me to the repair centre.

My car is ready and I drive away knowing that my repair and the workmanship is guaranteed by the RACV for life.

I'm a happy camper.

The moral of the story...

There are no free lunches in this world and you get what you pay before.
The true test of an insurance company is when you need to make a claim and get your car repaired or replaced, not how cheap you can buy it for.

Car insurance is the one product you buy that you hope you never have to call on.

Having an accident can be stressful, what you don't want is further stress and frustration getting everything taken care of.

Beware of bargains in parachutes, fire extinguishers and insurance.

I no longer worry about accident repairs... I am in good hands.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 14-01-2019 at 04:45 PM.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote