View Single Post
Old 15-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #176
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Default Re: Does Anyone Here Fly Drones??

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Agree with swanny but once we see likes of amazon rolling out their delivery service (Such as their project wings in canberra) this slice of airspace becomes very valuable and hobbiest arent welcome... that much is becoming clear.

The hobby is going to get regulated into the ground in my opinion. some of the rules and regulations being put into place by the regulatories, underhand tactics by pilot associations, the media portrayal of 'drones' is all negative, designed to vilify the hobby to make passing rules and regulations easier.

Licensing and registration doesnt work.. it was proven in america but that didnt change them from pushing it back through despite the facts, despite the fact there has been no recorded death or accident due to drones. Why wont the UK government release their findings from a few years ago, thats right, because it doesnt show the negative outcome they wanted. All research and information that proves the hobby isnt a danger to aircraft ect is never acknowledged but the unrealistic, flawed research is treated as gospel and rolled out through the media... just look at this very thread and Gatwick.... no proof yet it has caused major proposed changes in the uk regarding regulations etc.

Its a joke tbh.

The future of quads is going to be the 3inch and below versions but I may just of given up by then.... Im already losing interest due to the amount of restrictions being in place and the public opinion of what we do, it just makes it a hassle to go out and fly in peace.
I have several thoughts on this matter, and you're right it's a joke.

Firstly the people that are planning nefarious deeds with drones are not going to go and get them registered beforehand. Following this logic all criminals are registered gun owners and all illicit firearms are registered...right?

Secondly 'real' aviation hobbyist clubs flying fixed-wing and/or (heavens forbid) replica helicopters want nothing to do with drone flyers. They don't even give you the courtesy of a reply to your emails. Drone-only clubs are few and far between and given the size of Australia this is the way it's always going to be. However every single argument that is currently levelled against illicit drone ownership with the ability to take photos and be a tool in a criminal's toolbox can also be levelled at those flying fixed wing with a FPV or HD video camera, a lot of which can be launched by hand. In this case these Clubs may want to take a long hard look at themselves as sure as eggs they are next...once people realise fixed wing aircraft can carry cameras and are much quieter than a drone.

Thirdly delivery by drone is...a gimmick and does nothing for the hobby at all, all it does is pee the people off that are easily peed off even more. These are the people that whinge in the media and bleat about privacy, theft, the approaching drone Armageddon and PTSD caused by drone noises. These are probably also the same people that bleat and whinge about wind farm generators and would prefer good-old coal powered power stations...in someone else's backyard.

Fourthly, and most importantly, people as a group are fundamentally and irredeemably stupid (I blame social media among other things). If they don't like the thought of something, if they don't understand something, if they don't like the look/sound/feel of something it must be bad, or evil, and therefore must be stopped or eradicated or legislated out of existence using any conceivable excuse or reasoning available, no matter how idiotic it sounds.

...this last one goes both ways, there's an equally stupid group of drone users that buy drones and do the wrong thing and then post the evidence on YouTube.

FWIW anyone advocating the shooting down of a drone is an absolute idiot and should immediately surrender both their gun license and all their firearms.

You should check out Canada's drone laws, they're worse than ours...

...still trying to work out how they are going to register a pile of bits I have assembled myself. Apparently in Canada you need to log an event every time you change something.

Last edited by Ratmick; 15-03-2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote