View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 09:48 PM   #172
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: Does Anyone Here Fly Drones??

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Out of interest I watched a couple of YT reviews on some stuff you can buy and the range is enormous . A worry you hear is that some people are pushing the barrier a bit too far with privacy and flying where they shouldn't now though and regulatory things could end up ruining it (the hobby) for everybody maybe requiring stricter laws than now

Then again UHF radio users used to have fairly tight guidelines and requiring licencing like in my case when I began with that but it was great to be part of . Years later they deregulated it all and then were were inundated by disrespectful muppets in among the genuine users.

Do you think that a specific kind of registration for drones with a certain operating range and recording capability should be needed at point of sale at least or is that overkill . How do you see this Swanny ?

I think a licencing system would be extremely costly to put in place, it may come down to local councils setting laws to prohibit the flying of quadcopters in certain areas; and this would probably come about after complaints were made.

I think a lot comes down to the size of the craft, there's a fair bit of disparity between a six foot wing span balsa model plane and a polystyrene foam winged plane. The six foot variety can only be flown at designated flying fields as a member of a flying club. Smaller 'toys' often get a blind eye turned.

With drones there is a variety of sizes from the Tiny Whoops, through to the full size units flown by Dubai Police Traffic Officers (Dubai Police Droning On). Obviously the more mass, the more damage can be done if it doesn't go to plan, and we don't want serious injury or worse to come from us having fun!

When it comes to larger quads that can carry people becoming popular, that's when registration and licensing will become mandatory.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: