Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 20-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #3177
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
As a former superbike owner, I never left home without the full kit, head to toe. Living in warmer climates, the temptation for some is too great, so out come the shorts, t-shirts & trainers. We have all seen this type of rider, decked out in sports gear with a Valentino Rossi helmet, and most of us yell idiot as they race around us. My point here is not to start an argument nor is it to put down push biker riders. I wonder if anybody thinks of life after a serious ''off'' and whether or not a layer of protective clothing is worth losing a little top speed or whatever. Remember folks, I am not stirring the pot, I am genuinely interested.
You aren't the first person to question a cyclists motives behind the clothes they wear. A lot of people think we wear lycra to emulate our sports idols, to look professional in some way or for some kind of fashion statement which is far from the truth. Just like Bourney said, it is function over form. 99% of serious cyclists (not to be confused with professional riders) will choose the appropriate cycling attire for its aerodynamic abilities, its ability to wick away moisture, its ability not to bunch up in critical areas and the fact that it never gets stuck around the saddle when in the standing position. It is seriously THAT comfortable. Sure, in a crash, we'll know about it. But most the time, riders crash at slower speeds compared to motorbike riders.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont