View Single Post
Old 17-11-2017, 09:57 PM   #57
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Insurance/traffic accident question

Another example of impatient driving and an innocent party paying the price.

Almost happened to me last week.
I was towing the new caravan down Grand Junction Rd here in Adelaide, where it intersects with Old Port rd it merges into a single lane with a slip lane for the traffic entering from Old Port rd and then becomes two lanes again.
So I had to slow slightly to get into the right lane as the left lane ends, I indicate my intentions to merge into the right lane and a Suzuki Vitara makes way for me, all good.
I looked left as I crossed the lights and saw no one coming around the corner off of Old Port rd and put my indicator on so I could merge back into the left lane when the concrete divider ends.
Once i'd cleared the lane divider for the slip lane I go to re enter the new left lane which was clear, check my mirrors again and begin to merge, only for the Suzuki driver behind me to dart into the left lane and up beside the back quarter of the van.
At this stage I'm already half way into the left lane.
She blasts her horn and gives the usual gestures obviously believing she was in the right.
Luckily I was watching carefully and saw her pop out behind me on the left and i pulled back fully into the right lane.
If i'd hit her it would be deemed as my fault even though it was her that failed to give way to my well signalled intention to change lanes and allow her to go through on my right as I hadn't been able to get back up to speed in the short 100m distance since i'd moved into the right lane.
Turns out she needed to turn left at the lights 2 or 3 hundred meters up the road and would have easily done just that had she passed me on the right but no, she was impatient and I almost paid the price.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote