View Single Post
Old 18-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #303
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Grey Nomads - grumpy pains in the ***

After following this thread since it started, I am almost tempted to become a grey nomad. I am certainly old and grumpy enough to be a grey nomad and a trip to the warmer north would likely ease my arthritic pains (and also make me less grumpy). It would perhaps be nice to stick it to some of the entitled millennials having a shot at some of us older folk by wilfully doing many of the things they have accused grey nomads of doing and complained about in this thread (nah; I couldn’t do that).

However, I did all the caravanning I wanted to in my late teens and early twenties when my mates and I travelled over a much of rural WA often towing a hired caravan (other times using tents or just sleeping in our cars). These days I have no desire to have the hassle of towing any sort of caravan, noting that living in Perth metro, going anywhere, but to this State’s southwest, involves very long road journeys through mostly desolate uninteresting country that I have travelled through many times before. I also worked most of my life in WA Government agencies that allowed me the opportunity to travel all over WA and often to places well off the tourist routes so there are not many new places for me to see in WA.

Moreover, these days when I do drive in country WA, I too often find I have to take evasive action to avoid impatient idiot drivers who have crossed double white lines to unsafely pass vehicles and are heading on the wrong side of the road for a head on collision with me. I don’t know how successful evading a head on collision with these idiots by pulling onto the gravel road verge would be if I was also towing a van.

In any event, these days I prefer to stay in comfortable expensive hotels and just cope the occasional risk of bed bugs, no Internet or poor room service. Holidays these days for me usually involves flying to another state’s capital and hiring a car to see the sights (and staying in hotels or holiday rentals) or travelling overseas and doing similar things. So despite the temptation, I fairly convinced I will never be a caravanning grey nomad. Besides my little remaining hair is white not grey.