Old 10-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #182
96paddywagon
Starter Motor

Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Replace plastic with glass

Would you ban glass?

Glass takes 1-2 million years to break down.

We don't make it in the volume of plastic but otoh we have been making it for 5,000 years.

Do you think glass creates an imbalance similar to plastic?

If not, why not?

Not saying glass and plastic are exactly the same but on your argument above they are similar.

My point being that no one complains about glass. No environmentalists run round asking for a glass ban.

If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

The real question is why are we banning single use plastic bags? Because they are disposable and we don't like that, or is it the litter issue, the potential impact on wildlife, the resource consumption, all of the above, or something else?

No one considers that consumers may replace bags with even worse environmentally friendly solutions it is just assumed that the change will be beneficial.

Ground glass is sand , plastic decomposed is still plastic, I object to the food served in take away plastic containers then eaten at the premises- no washing up , we throw it all away without a thought but it doesn’t go away & heck I hope it doesn’t get burnt . We rely on it far too much , why do we need plastic containers for everything? We must be paying for all that packaging we don’t want .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5 users like this post: