View Single Post
Old 21-10-2017, 01:12 AM   #39
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Driving Test..... too harsh?

Quote:
Pretty sure (in NSW at least) you need the first 2 lanes to be clear to be able to enter a multi lane road. Or at least you did back when I had to sit my test when getting my Aussie license when I moved from Scotland in 2001.
From what I can find , it seems it's no longer the law, albeit still good practice. e.g.

https://www.slp.wa.gov.au/pco/prod/filestore.nsf/FileURL/mrdoc_37162.htm/$FILE/Road%20Traffic%20Code%202000%20-%20%5B05-e0-00%5D.html?OpenElement

Quote:
68. Giving way when moving from boundary of carriageway, or parking area on or in median strip
(1) A driver entering a marked lane, or a line of traffic, from the boundary of a carriageway shall give way to any vehicle travelling in the lane or line of traffic.
Ditto in NSW https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#...7/div6/rule.87
Quote:
87 Giving way when moving from a side of a road or a median strip parking area
(1) A driver entering a marked lane, or a line of traffic, from the far left or right side of a road must give way to any vehicle travelling in the lane or line of traffic.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
Note 1. Line of traffic and marked lane are defined in the Dictionary.
Note 2. For subrule (1), give way means:
(a) if the driver is stopped—remain stationary until it is safe to proceed, or
(b) in any other case—slow down and, if necessary, stop to avoid a collision,

I guess I learned to drive in era when semaphore indicators that often stuck inside their pillar recess were still out there on cars, front indicator lights were not on all cars that had moved onto tail-light indicators and there was always chance that the car in the far lane was about to change into the curb-side lane you planned to enter.