View Single Post
Old 22-01-2022, 06:35 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: The decline of fossil fuels - and how that effects car enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASWAGON View Post
After watching those Youtube Hydrogen clips I dont have much faith in Hydrogen the tanks are huge taking up passenger space and the power loss and travel range are effected massively.

EV's are much more efficient in my opinion and Lithium battery technology keeps getting better and better as we move away from ICE's.

I'll take a Mustang EV anyday over the Hydrogen Beemer!
The storage part of hydrogen is a real pain in the ***,

Also the whole fact that you need to use electrolysis to convert it from water to hydrogen, then compress it into bottles, transport it to a servo, then pump it into your car, where its not 100% efficient, then use the hydrogen to convert back into electricity to power car through a hydrogen fuel cell is a bit silly.

By the time you take into account all those things its sub 40% efficient,

You might as well as take that power from the grid and use it to charge batteries in an EV rather than go through all the above just to get water coming out the exhaust.

Maybe hydrogen could be used as a heating source, kinda like how we use compressed natural gas and LPG - might make sense in that application rather than transport purposes.

I saw an Australian company has already made a hydrogen BBQ:

https://www.heatlie.com.au/hydrogen-bbq

https://www.heatlie.com.au/hydrogen-...ture-of-bbqing

Quote:
Hydrogen Cooking & Efficiency
The Heatlie hydrogen barbecue is the first of its kind, and proof of what the future holds for BBQing. We strived to show that hydrogen is the future of gas appliances. Through our testing, we found that it's capable of producing the same heat output as LPG and natural gas, through the use of less gas, leading to a more efficient cook.

This works by utilising the high combustion rate of hydrogen to reduce the gas flow, thus producing a more efficient barbecue whilst also generating the same even heat distribution.

Hydrogen consumes .35 kgs of fuel per hour, almost half that of Natural Gas and LPG. This means it is exceptionally efficient, however even better, it will create double the heat from the same amount of fuel. Hydrogen generates 120 Megajoules of heat per kilogram of fuel consumed, compared to 53 MJ for Natural gas, and 71 MJ for LPG.

The hydrogen BBQ is based on our standard 850 models, looks and cooks like any normal BBQ. The only thing that's changed is the addition of a hydrogen regulator and a different burner system that allows for hydrogen use. The best part is it's all 100% Australian made.
Is the future of the humble swap and go hydrogen?

We've had some crazy engine swaps done by this community and some absolutely epic projects - wonder who is going to be the first to use one of those electric crate motors Ford offers?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-01-2022 at 06:43 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: