View Single Post
Old 18-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #54
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Future of Car Collecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Knowles View Post
We all know car acquisition, collecting and values are so dependant on finances. The baby boomers who lived through the seventies, married early and achieved financial security early could purchase some great optioned cars at reasonable prices. I have owned a T3 TE50 for 11 years now and I do hesitate to park it and drive places, but if I was sensible I would have sold it and bought a dual cab. I would rather put kms on the clock than sell it, because we can’t all afford a stable of cars, I’m still the proud owner of a rare factory performance car. Lucky I decided to keep it as I’ve enjoyed it’s comfort and performance and guess what. I paid $27,000 for it in 2007 with 53k on the clock and now it’s got 160km. Work out what it now owes me. You know what killed the Aussie car market. Husbands allowing their wives to buy SUV’s. My 16 yr old daughter drove my TE50 for the first time on her L’s after driving the Pajero and she fell in love with the comfort and performance and soon after asked me if she could inherit it. I suggest we let our young ones experience these classics if we want the next generation to cherish our current pride and joys.
Good post Paul, same thing has happened here with ED Sprint, our son has experienced the character of a manual V8 Australian muscle car in his formative driving, and learned to treat the power with respect. Given the chance I think this younger generation (Z) will collect cars rather than phones unlike those slightly older. The cars will be a measure of success which they are working toward. And, they have had GTA5 and seen the image of 10 car garages as having "made it" in the urban jungle of Los Santos...

As for husbands letting wives decide, this is true, lucky Ford had the Territory, kept the factory going that bit longer.

Mick great post, hardly anyone realises that the currency they are paid in and use is being deliberatley eroded every year as more loans are written... (fractional reserve lending increasing fiat currency supply)