View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #25
marcusturbo

Default Re: Ford Mondeo engine shuts off while driving

Bit of an update on the situation.

It's been a baffling one as it was quite intermittent and I wasn't prepared to drive it more often and have it break down peak traffic.

Going off the last time this happened, I bought a new Crankshaft Sensor and fitted it. Since then I've been out half a dozen times on good length drives, upto 30minutes, and touch wood, everything has been like before - almost smiling again. Just need to do a few more to gain confidence in that it's not going to happen again.

Question to the Ford Boffin's - the crankshaft sensor is used for starting and then fuel injection is worked off the camshaft sensor once started and running. Given my problem the crankshaft sensor must still be active or at least monitored whilst the engine is running as i thought it would have been effectively switched off after starting - Is this the case.

I'm just interested to know what goes on albeit hard with so much monitoring.

The other thing that i have discovered is that my EGR Valve is a bit sticky at times as this is causing my engine hesitation as the valve isn't fully closed when it should be. I did try to remove it whilst i had the air inlet system all off but couldn't get on nut undone!!
Is a new EGR valve expensive?
I now also count the clicks of the EGR once I stop the engine now, sometimes only 2 or 3 other times it's been 12!!!!