View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 02:06 AM   #13
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Ford Mondeo engine shuts off while driving

Probably a good time to share my findings:

I've been trouble free and it's getting on a year now trying to find out why/what caused my stalling and I can say with some confidence that I've found/fixed my problem. Not had a hiccup a stall event, nothing in this time.

The last thing I did (nothing in the way of fuel/electrical systems) was change the fuel filter as it were time/scheduled as part of my service intervals (30K kms instead of 60K intervals) and I did it differently to the first and second times previously. Still the last stall being some time late 2016, it's been Sept'16 since I've upgrade my suspension and I recall I've had one stall since, ~ around Nov, I don't think it stalled '17 but that's the best I can remember. Either way 2017 were good for in regards to the car. (early Timing belt change being the only biggie)

This time instead of draining the filter housing [edit:-to-which-I-didn't-clamp/plug-off-the-end-of-the-line-] no I'm mistaken sorry, I do remember using a plug in the line. It would be that I started draining the filter housing first then got on to plugging the line, so being out of step, so the fuel pump supply line drains to some extent when draining the housing and when complete I'd prime the system from the fuel pump feed line (schrader valve there for this very purpose) with a hand pump. Looking back this must be where I failed.

Instead I used a Jar/hose/Shop vacuum as previously mentioned in another thread and pulled the fuel all the way through the system from the Fuel tank>Filter>Pump>Injectors>to the fuel return line, after the engine. Only till it were a full stream of fuel entering the jar did I stop and it did show air in the line till it were bled fully. The engine started relatively quickly and settled down quickly. Unlike previously where it took quite a few turns of the key past my 'alright now I'm concerned' stage.

That's essentially being the best method and result I could achieve to bleed the system and this time after the pump and the rest of the system. It hasn't stalled since, not one hiccup nor hesitation which I'm happy to say the least.

I don't typically call it fixed till I've got some K's under my belt since but it's go to be close to a year now. I'm due to do it again (fuel filter) so it's dawned on me that I haven't had a problem in all this time and hopefully that's the end of it.

Found it Ha ha! 3/10/2016 was the last time it stalled. Let that be a lesson to me...do a better job

Last edited by cobrin; 12-02-2018 at 02:23 AM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: