View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #16
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crash in a tin-can

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Hi, thanks for the row of

Perhaps not all drivers comes with guardian angels like this one did.

My suggestions wouldn't be that everyone should drive a particular car model, but I could think of some that are more robust.

Firstly, if a car is 5 years newer than the one in the accident, most models would have high-strength steel used in the body side panels, where the A / B / C pillars would have far more strength.

Secondly, it's a matter of matching bumper height. In Europe the trucks are required to have lower bumpers and side impact panels. Australian vehicle standards seems to be without the same safety requirements.

However these days SUVs are getting a larger market share. Even in a baby SUV, the body structure would be a little higher than in the type of car in this accident.

Cheers,
I've attended a fair few traffic crash scenes over the years as a consequence of my job. I'm certainly no expert, but have a reasonable understanding.

Mate it wouldn't have mattered what brand of car the woman was driving, they were all going to look much like this one in the end. The simple fact of the matter is that a semi trailer has hit it from behind and the energy has been pretty much unable to be dissipated as normal, due to the two vehicles in front of her preventing her car from being propelled forward.

Alternate bumper heights and hi-tensile panels would not have changed the outcome. This was simply physics at work.

I note the reporter mentioned that investigators were canvassing the possibility that the driver may have fallen asleep. That statement indicates to me that there may have been an absence of braking, and if that's in fact the case, increases the severity of the impact even further.

All things considered, I think she's a very lucky lady with a very lucky family.

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
7 users like this post: