View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #13
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crash in a tin-can

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Ever thought that's all they may have been able to afford?
This is true,
however, whilst economics will determine that some people can only afford say a ten 10yr old car that was cheap to begin with, and that will necessarily be less safe than a newer more expensive car, such cheaper cars will always be available even if we insisted new cars were safer to begin with.

The only thing you can really say about this lass's survival, is thank God she didn't have kids in the back.

There's an unfortunate problem with the continuing move towards cars that are lighter and cheaper, with safety ratings achieved by adding gimmicks.

It really depends on your priorities, and how you access risk. Modern concepts of safety are geared towards moderate impacts, which are numerically far more common.
And the fact is that yes, in a modern car you are far more likely to firstly avoid the impact, and secondly to walk away without a scratch.
Personally, and it is a personal choice, such accidents have never concerned me greatly. When it comes to myself and my family, it is fatalities and permanent disabilities that concern me.

So sure, the roads would be safer if we all drove small cars made of tinfoil, but we don't. And as long as there are trucks, buses, idiots, and trees, you are safest in the biggest heaviest lump of iron you can afford. (Preferably one with massive crumple zones front and rear.)
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote