View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #72
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 
Default Re: Photobucket... WTF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Looks like Phildo's pictures are still working that's a relief.
I've been paying $US2.99/month for several years now. My stuff got popular, and was exceeding the free bandwidth limits a very long time ago.

With my various Photo Essays and build threads, I'm actually exceptionally well organised.

I'd go do a job on the car, and take a bunch of photos along the way.

Once the job was done I was spending 5-6 hours going through photos, deleting unnecessary ones, Photoshopping them, uploading them to Photobucket and finally writing a text file with the Photobucket URL links in it.

I'd sit at my desk at 2am, think that it would take an hour or so to get it all done and then be going to bed well after 7am. They were some long and late nights. For the amount of effort that I put in each time, I was going to make damn sure that it was going to be around for as many years as possible.

Then I'd copy and paste the text as a reply to some random existing thread so that I could check and proof read it. The occasional typo slipped through, but overall I did pretty well at making sure that everything made sense and was in the right order.

I was posting each thing on four different forums, with this being the main one. Hence having it all written up in a text file, so I could just copy and paste quickly and easily.

Maybe because I've been paying the $US2.99/month I won't have to change anything, but even if I did, all I would have to do is upload the photos elsewhere and have the links changed on here.

I keep all my photos organised. The folder for the Photo Essays is currently 62.6Gb. Each job has three folders - the original photos, the Photoshopped ones and the final resized ones.

The folder of photos for my 2006 FPV Tornado build thread is 31.7Gb. The folder of photos for the 2007 FPV Tornado build thread is a lot smaller, at 17.4Gb.

It always shat me off when people uploaded photos and the links were gone later. That was one of the reasons why I was so determined to make all my stuff permanent. i started doing the Photo Essays in early 2011, and all of them are still as complete and functional as the day they were posted.

The one thing that always really ****ed me off about Photobucket was the lack of statistics. I would have loved to have known how many times various images were views. Maybe I should look at setting up my own hosting in the future for that.

TL;DR: I've been really, really, really, really anal about keeping all my photos organised.

My various threads: http://www.fordforums.com.au/search....&starteronly=1
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: