View Single Post
Old 13-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #8
Mondaveo

Default Re: MC Mondeo harsh shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob270 View Post
Firstly when starting the car and leaving my foot on the brake, it goes into gear with a bit of a thump. Not a loud noise but certainly a noticeable shift shock.
I don't experience shift shock in my car going from Park to Drive with foot on brake unless I'm also on the accelerator, but I take it you're not doing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob270 View Post
Secondly, with all the millions of roundabouts here in Canberra, if I dawdle through and feather the throttle it seems to be a bit slow to make a shift then powers on through just fine.
Yep, mine is always sluggish and frequently feels like there's briefly no power/drive when I want it to slip through roundabouts or grab a gap at intersections. To my mind it seems to be a combination of things:
  1. Delay in the turbo spooling back up after letting off the gas;
  2. Delay in getting into gear - even though the DCT makes shifts quickly, the computer seems to take a moment to actually enact it (I notice this when driving in manual mode);
  3. cobrin talks about a torque-limiting protection feature of the drivetrain, I suppose that could be a factor too.

I've now taken to switching to manual mode for busy roundabouts as suggested on this forum, it seems to make a big difference if I lock in 2nd gear on approach, as opposed to waiting for the computers to react in auto mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.

Last edited by Mondaveo; 13-01-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Mondaveo is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: