View Single Post
Old 13-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #88
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Re: Have Useless "Safety" Features gone too far?

What is the point of the markers on the white lines on highways/freeways? To alert the driver that the car is on the edge of the road. That is old school lane assist that has generally worked. If you fall asleep and you dont notice the vibration the markers put through the car, youre probably going to end up off the road into a barrier or bush in a decent mess.

If you dont notice the car beeping and vibrating at you, and the car keeps you in a lane and will probably end up hitting a car in that lane or running into an intersection into innocent people.

People can be, have been and still are tired enough for this to happen. But everyone screams how good this crap is but they dont think of every scenario.

Over the past month, two people have ended up in the Swan river here in Perth. One was a lady in a Camry with no health complications, decided that the gps was right in telling her there was a road in the drink. She ended up in the water. The sheer stupidity is incredible! Would lane assist keep morons like that alive? Probably maybe. Would it be worth keeping this persons licence? No. Give her a bus pass or a crash course in how to drive and if she fails, the roads have become that much safer.

Today a Patrol 4x4 ended up in the same drink.
Perth drivers are the dumbest i have encountered in any town/city ive been to in Australia so these examples may not be ideal for the rest of Aus but the point is we are allowing drivers to become passengers, to not use their brain and skills if any at all.

If i dont use a calculator at work, i become quicker and better at the math i need to do over time. If i use the calculator, my brain slows down with equations and will rely more on the calculator. The exact same concept applies to driving.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: