View Single Post
Old 13-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #77
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Have Useless "Safety" Features gone too far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
It's a well understood problem in aviation circles.
Someone mentioned it in the thread earlier.
The automotive industry appears to be taking no notice and seems destined to make the same mistakes.

Read children of the magenta line, where pilots are being overwhelmed by automation they don't understand. Mistakes are being made that are mind boggling, it's akin to steering off an eight lane freeway and straight into a tree.
That's the state of confusion these highly trained pilots are finding themselves in. They become totally overwhelmed trying to understand what is actually going on and who is in control. Them or HAL.
Absolutely correct,there is a huge amount to learn from aviation regarding this topic. Integration between the pilot or driver in this instance and machine is a massively complex situation. I don't think many here may be interested but the "children of the magenta" video you mention is a very realistic and grass roots example of the issues trained professionals,not amateurs go through to manage automation correctly. One of the big sells for Airbus is the protections and safety built in with this level of automation. All great until it goes south,and it does. Read some crash reports,its horrific and kick started a massive rethink of how it's all managed.

Technology is great,this stuff will come,no doubt about it,but driver awareness will be critical and dont forget the software updates to fix the glitches,that often have glitches themselves,happens regularly in aviation. It will be interesting to see how that is even managed,I'd say back to the dealer to avoid corrupted of hacked data being downloaded,and if you don't have the lastest mandatory updates,where do you stand ? Interesting times ahead I'd say

Last edited by XByoot; 13-02-2017 at 06:00 PM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: