View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 04:53 AM   #37
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Future of Car Collecting

The world changes, and people's appreciation of things changes with it.

My Dad had a shed full of Junk that "might come in handy one day" and it is surprising how often we would go rummaging and find a useful bit for some little repair or project. Dad was a bit obsessive about such things, but he had the space. We seem to have lost the space, necessity, and desire to tinker and repair things.

I have worked with a large cross-section of people, and I have adult kids of my own. I can count the car enthusiasts on one hand, and they are all of my generation or older.

But as I've said, our population has grown, and it only takes a comparative few to keep the flames alive.

The one thing that appals me, in regards to potential collectibles, is the people who have bought something like a GT-E, GT-P, or Ltd edition, used it as a family hack for 10 years pounding the life out of it, but now expect top-dollar "cos its rare". Sadly, those cars are headed to the wreckers, and it gives an insight into why so few of the rare cars actually survived.

If you're wondering what to buy now for future "collectability," then the answer is simple. Buy what you love and can afford to keep.
But if you're really hung-up on having something others may want someday, then I would suggest big-bangers around the 20 year old mark.
EF/EL & AU XR8's and V8 Montys, equivalent Commodes, keep an eye on the price of 300C's as they start to drift into this bracket.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: