View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #50
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
$1500 ??

I can buy a 5 star Rheem hot water 380L system for $1500 from Reece plumbing...and I did.

Local plumber quoted $1500 plus installation for identical unit.

As long as I cleaned up the mess, disposed of the old unit and made cups of tea......Phhtttt!

2 hours later, including to pickup the unit from Reece, a shifter and philips screwdriver a roll of thread seal tape and did the job myself.

Some guys reckon they are worth a thousand bucks a day for fitting two pipes and reconnecting three wires.

No sympathy from me if the industry goes bad....
And that's why I'm about to get laid off....

Because Solar is a new industry, people are skeptical. It's the same with any industry though, that you get what you pay for.

Here is a picture of an installation that our plumbers did:

Notice the lagged pipes, colorbond capping and in roof pipework? that's all extra labour to make the system look good and work properly.

Now a gentleman said that he can get the same system for $1500 cheaper, and lo and behold he showed me the quote and it was $1500 cheaper.

2 weeks later, I get a call from the supplier to ask if we could have a look at a warranty job, and it was the same gentleman with the cheaper quote, and this was his job:

No lagged pipes, planks of wood used as a frame, two manifolds connected with a piece of hose pipe, and loose pipes running across the roof.

Essentially, you get what you pay for. Because people look for the cheapest solution, I cannot stay in the industry; as I said, it's really quite sad that people think that way.

Last edited by Stagg; 07-02-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Stagg is offline   Reply With Quote