Thread: Cougar problem!
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 03:36 AM   #19
AD26

Default Re: Cougar problem!

I addressed this in another post but I read through and researched as much as I could about the fuel pump issue to find a fix and the problem seems to be the original design of the pump in the car. The recall in the US(doesn't apply in Aus, I tried lol) with Ford part number XS2Z-9H307-CA is the same as the part I bought for my car which has solved the problem. I didn't even know Cougar's had a low fuel warning!

I'm not sure when the change happened exactly but Cougars from 2000+ are returnless fuel pumps and the pump assembly is stuck to the floor of the tank. The pump itself has a mouth like the symbol >. Fuel tanks inevitably get filled with gunk, the bottom entry point is being clogged which is why at the 1/4 tank mark the pump is struggling to get the fuel to injectors for firing.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...426&cc=1387795 <-- part I bought. Motorcraft PFS-289 is the same as the part XS2Z-9H307-CA mentioned above, it's a whole assembly which hangs in your tank instead of being stuck to the floor. I've tried hunting for the receipt but I'm pretty sure the labour cost for install was around $180
AD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: