View Single Post
Old 27-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #84
twr7cx

Default Re: Ford Falcon BA-FG Coilovers

I poked around yesterday on the shock and I can feel the bump stop there underneath the dust boot cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno73 View Post
Am i to assume that coilovers are legal on road cars?

Just thought i'd ask as my brother in-law has got cold feet in regards to fitting them to his VZ Dunnydore so he can put 40series tyres on his 19's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate View Post
I did read in new Codes of Practise adopted recently in QLD they did mention coilovers are now illegal.

Not exactly sure as yet what that means (if a authorised person can engineer it or not) but I intend to find out. Tax time means new shocks.
Do you have a link for the Queensland Code of Practice that has been recently adopted? I have found the 'Department of Transport and Main Roads Queensland Code of Practice Vehicle Modifications Version 1.0 November 2012' < http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/sa...ations1112.pdf >, but it does not mention coilovers anywhere.

I did however, find this on the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads' website < http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Veh...fications.aspx > which indicates that Queensland now follow the National Code of Practice (NCOP) for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification - see my next paragraph for this documents relevancy.

I believe all States are now following the National Code of Practice (NCOP) for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification Vehicle Standards Bulletin (VSB) 14 ( http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa.../vsb_ncop.aspx )
In this case is it probably NCOP11 Section LS Suspension and Steering V2 01Jan2011 that is most relevant. Section 1.1 titled '1.1 BASIC MODIFICATIONS NOT REQUIRING CERTIFICATION' describes the "...following modifications may be performed without certification if they are carried out in
accordance with sub-section 2 General Requirements and the total change in vehicle height resulting from all modifications performed, does not exceed 50mm." (p. 6):
 Shock absorber substitution;
 Spring and sway bar substitution

Also of note is 1.2 MODIFICATIONS REQUIRING CERTIFICATION UNDER SECTION LS (p. 6) and 1.3 MODIFICATIONS NOT COVERED UNDER SECTION LS (pp. 6 - 7), however, coilovers aren't specifically listed in either of these, so we can continue (if the vehicle has ESC however, then this document doesn't strictly apply as ESC vehicles are a whole different bag of tricks apparently):

Reference then to sub-section 2 General Requirements (pp. 7 to 17) which covers the topics of Driveability, Strength and Flexibility, Fabrication, Steering and Suspension Terminology, Relevant Publications, Modifications to Vehicles Equipped with ESC, Safety Issues Associated with Raising or Lowering a Vehicle - skimming through these I don't see anything relating to coilovers.

The easiest way to find out if they are legal in your state is to just phone or e-mail the road transport agency's technical department. I have done this a few times here in Tasmania for information.

Considering the standard setup in the front of the Falcons is a coil over the strut I would assume at least for the front of a Falcon the coilovers are legal as the only difference is the spring base can now be adjusted for height purposes.

I would also be suprised if large National chains like Fulcrum Suspension (retailer of Tein) and Pedders would be selling coilovers if they were illegal. The legal ramifications to them would be too great in regards to their duty of care.

There's so many myths and BS floating around on online forums with no references to back them up. Find the source of the rules and read them and usually that will provide you with at least 90% of your answer.

Last edited by twr7cx; 27-06-2013 at 10:57 AM.
twr7cx is offline   Reply With Quote