View Single Post
Old 14-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #21
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default Re: Rear IRS bushes/rear end maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
Sounds complicated. Thanks for the write up mate. If they aren't noisy, reckon it's best to leave the shafts and bearing alone? I have a fatter sway bar to put in the rear and i have read that the half shafts need removing - I take it that there would be no issue with taking them out, inspecting them and re-installing?
Hi Daniel.
You can also confirm the rear bearings condition by jacking up the rear wheel by the lower control arm with the park brake off.
Just grab the wheel top and bottom then push the top hand and pull the bottom, then swap.
do this for left and right side of the wheel too.
If the wheel bearing, susp joints and toe link etc are in good nick then there should be no noises or play when doing this test.
If there is noise or play then you will have to isolate the cause, suspension joints or bearing or both?
I used a dial indicator at different points to isolate play.
Spin the wheel while you are at it and have a listen.

Cheers,
Andrew.

As for the sway bar, as mentioned before you may only have to remove the front diff bolt and let the front of the diff drop to manipate the sway bar out and in.
You also may only have to remove one half shaft.
They can get a little sticky in the diff end as they have a spring clip. Oil may drip from the opening if shaft is removed.
If you do remove a shaft the check the condition of the CV joints for play and the wheel hub.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: