View Single Post
Old 25-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #126
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Au Rust Thread., Warning, Dont Look If U Cant Handle Sight Of Rust

(Main topic below the asterisks!)

I realise that (a.) this is a somewhat historic thread and (b.) it's suffered badly from Photobucket blocking, but here goes...

"Foster Ute" the AU II has some rust here and there. It's not so dire as some, but for perspective, I haven't seen rust like this on a Euro since the '70s Renaults or an '80s Sud. That nasty, flaky rust which seems to creep relentlessly and has a habit of aiming straight for triple layered seams which require a maximum of parts removal for access/repair. I note rust in the subframe rails below the floor, concealed in the scuttle, near the strut tops, and in the door closing panels (striker face, just above the sill).

Some of it I can stall, some I can treat, some will be needing repair over coming months. I wouldn't have bothered save for the fact of the utes being history now (and better the devil you know, etc)... My welding abilities are likely on par with Stevie Wonder's drifting skills but I know how to strip, prepare, mock up, cut patches in - just can't lay down a dependably safe and tidy weld - so this part is always someone else's job.

Hence, the questions:
1. How much of the AU cab pressings carried through to the last ute shells? (Or, how much can be made to fit an AU?)
2. Did Ford get the anti-corrosion more right as time went on from the early BA's? Or did they stay a lucky dip?

Thanks in advance, for any hints.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote