View Single Post
Old 24-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #261
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I wasn't really with you on this previously, but the recent Taurus announcement makes it a bit more plausible.

However, there's still going to be a question of costs somewhere. Either Falcon stays and Broadmeadows takes on a Mustang line or gets converted to a CD4 line. History shows that Holden spent $600m on an already developed Cruze and Mitsubishi spent a similar amount on a face lifted Galant. How many hundreds of millions will it cost to adapt Broadmeadows to produce Mustang?
Part of the problem with Holden and the Cruze was that Holden did the development for the hatchback and the fact they were using an ancilliary assembly line that hadnt been used in years (I think this is the old 'Plant No. 2' where the Vectra was built). So the startup costs associated with that would have been huge. As Broady is a solitary assembly line that is in constant use and being regularly updated, you'd have to say that costs for Mustang production would be limited Mustang-specific tooling and alteration of existing tooling and machines to allow Mustang-specific processes to take place. The processes involved for making one unibody car over another are basically the same, just the parameters are different. Sure, there might be some fundamental differences (sedan v ute for example) but they won't have that problem.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: