View Single Post
Old 27-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #90
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Re: Ford Falcon BA-FG Coilovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockworks View Post
Hi Guy's,

I have been going over the regulations, and from what I see we comply with all of the reg's under the vehicle standards rules. With the Ford we have retain all the of the Factory rod travel and just a little shorter in the rear by about 12mm from memory but fall way inside the 2/3rd's rule for travel. We have also extensively tested the car's performance with the stability system with no reduced effects on performance. Section 4.4 outlines compatible mountings which we have the same dimensions as factory but the Ford lower clevis bracket for BA-BF is 2.5mm thickness and our brackets are 5mm thickness to make sure we have super strong mountings.
From what I see we are all good but will keep going over as now I am interested to read this material.
Cheers
Brett - Isnt the factory unit on the front of the Au and B series and FG series a "coilover" unit anyways ? It is not a separate spring / shock.

The only difference with the shockworks stuff / pedders / tein etc is that they are "adjustable". In fact the Tein with the EDFC may be an issue as it has the potential to be "manually" adjusted whilst driving ?? Not sure on the technicality of that.

The rear units are a separate shock and spring - like the factory units as well - so there is no modification per se.....its more in line with the substitution rule. Now adding a complete coiolver kit to an XE falcon may be an issue as the body of the vehicle may need to be modified to suit.

This is an interesting area and probably comes down to interpretation of the regs. I'm sure there would be roadworthy testing centres out there in all states that would not pass on these sorts of mods out of pure confusion and caution. Then again - there would be plenty that would based on the substitution ruling.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote