Thread: car hoist
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #20
paulie

Default Re: car hoist

Molnar are an Adelaide based company i think?

http://www.molnarhoists.com.au/hoist...s/universal-2/

Not sure if link will work?
Molnar are usually a bit dearer. But thats because they're made in Australia etc. We have higher standards of not just the product but for our businesses etc and labour is dearer etc.

It does mean you have supported an Australian company and being a local if you have trouble with it you can go to the manufacturer direct etc for help or parts etc.

In 15 odd years mines needed nothing more than a grease and an adjustment.
Obviously if it was in a commercial use parts would wear more etc. But im lucky to put mine up/down twice a month.

Definitely beats laying on the ground.
Having the clear floor makes it easier and safer while working under it.
Yes it takes a bit longer to put a car up than a 4 post hoist but being its a personal hoist not a business im never in a hurry.
Does make it easier to remove wheels, suspension, diffs etc over a 4 post hoist. And the main arms dont get in the way like a 4 poster (which is a bit like working in an open pit.

Both have there advantages and disadvantages.
Ultimately one of each would be the go.
But ive managed to do everything with a 2 post hoist.
If i need to have wheels under load etc i have to fall back to ramps etc on the ground. But thats not something ive had issues with.

As for exhausts you learn how to compensate. On my older cars (which are the only ones ive made exhausts for - newer cars are off the shelf type so are easy) ive just removed shock and spring and moved the rear axle up into position using a stand. (It moves freely and safely without springs etc)
Then you can work out clearances etc for pipes.

Either way you go your back will love you for it, buying a hoist.
Plus you will make many "new friends" a bit like buying a car trailer. ..... lol

* try calling molnar direct. Ive heard a rumor the new 2 poist hoist may be on sale atm....
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote