View Single Post
Old 27-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Happy Australia Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflux View Post
Some cities & states in the US are developing an interesting approach to a contentious european/indigenous day of significance:

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/...nal-odd-couple

Yes I concede Columbus Day differs in nature to Australia Day, a closer parallel date would be either <edit>Jan 5 (1688)</edit> from an Anglo perspective, or Feb 26 (1606) from a European perspective. The duality of a European/Indigenous day interests me though.

I suppose Australia Day in parallel with Invasion/Survival Day is actually pointing us roughly in the direction the US is going. I hope this direction is towards betterment.
Why can't there be two seperate days throughout the year to celebrate the two different cultures and their contributions to society past and present? Ignoring the fact most or all cultures in Australian society are celebrated on Australia Day in one way or the other.
How would incorporating specific recognition for aborigines with Australia Day (more than what there already is) be any different to NAIDOC week?

The answer to that, is the hard self loathing leftists are hell bent on undermining and watering down anything positive of Anglo/European culture past and present.
This user likes this post: