View Single Post
Old 21-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #84
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: Falcons towing Falcons - Legalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
if you are using a car below its towing capacity, then you will also have extra capacity in the ball weight allowed. If you are towing a 2.5t trailer with a car that can tow 3t, then you can have a ball weight up to 300kg (not recommended).
And in the event of the 3t trailer with the 3t rating, where then?
I guess you're stuck with the 10% which may not be enough according to you?

Or what about my Falcon wagon with the Hayman Reese tow hitch which is rated for 2300kg and only 120kg ballweight?
Surely the world will end when I tow having only 120kg ballweight with a 2300kg trailer?

Strangely enough, it hasn't.

Quote:
I still think 5% is too light when towing north or 2T.
You may think what you like, maybe you should try it. I have.

Quote:
Also, I believe you suggested rolling the car back to adjust ballweight, which can also be fraught with danger.
Why would it be dangerous? Unless you run over your foot or something...
So long as you're within that 5%-10% range you're good to go. Been there done it. Have you?

Quote:
I will relent though, and admit that in the case of towing a car, as long as the car is engine to the front on the trailer, most of the weight should still be in front or above the axles, so probably not an issue moving the car around a small amount.

if you aren't sure of the weights though, it is far better to err on the side of being too heavy than too light.
Dunno, I've had some wild rides when the ballweight is excessive.
Likewise when the ballweight is too light.

Both are as bad as each other.

Quote:
do you think manufacturers just pluck the numbers out of the air?
Sometimes yes. To get their car in a certain market segment.
Cars have then been known to be de-rated down the track if problems arise.

Quote:
Ford, Toyota and Chrysler, 3 of the biggest manufacturers in the world adopted the SAE J2807 standard, which was introduced some years ago.
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/tow...-the-standard/

They don't just make the numbers up, and to be certified to J2807, they have to pass the tests.
I'll check it out later, but a brief skim didn't see much (anything?) on ballweights.