View Single Post
Old 19-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #205
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

I'm an engineer and anyone who has worked with an engineer knows we weren't employed because we did well in English classes at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
As I said, "In Australia the only way your plastic bag kills a dolphin, is if you carry it to the beach and throw it in. "
Nothing you have said, not your link, contradicts my statement in any way.
Ok, perhaps my link didn't directly address the issue you raised, but given the quantities of product that was found in that article ("She says the density of plastic in Australian waters ranges from a few thousand pieces of plastic per square kilometre to more than 40,000 pieces.") I find it hard to believe that the only way, as postulated by you, that this plastic would have found its way into our oceans is by "carry(ing) it to the beach and throw(ing) it in."

I at least attempted to provide you with some evidence that contradicted your presumption. You, however, have made no effort to provide anything other than your own thoughts to be able to back up your presumption. If you can provide some independent (to you) evidence then I'll start taking you seriously.

Quote:
Unlike many third-world nations, we don't dump our garbage into open drains, rivers, or the ocean. Even garbage flushed down the dunny cannot reach the ocean.
The only way our garbage reached the ocean is if we choose to litter. That is a statement of FACT.
Whilst, in theory, we should not be dumping our garbage into rivers and drains, do you have any evidence that supports this position. just because we shouldn't doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If it is indeed, FACT, as you say then it should be very easy for you to provide evidence that supports this position, right? Feel feel to provide for the edification of all here.

Quote:
Notwithstanding its irrelevance, your linked article is still pile of straw-man twaddle. Saying that Australians are responsible for Australian litter is hardly earth-shattering.
But nobody is pointing to Australia as an example of the problem. Everybody refers to the acres of plastic in our major oceans, so an analysis of where THAT comes from, would be the only point of relevance.
I like the way people argue against a position that doesn't match their idealised position by dismissing it using emotive terms and not actually addressing the points raised. I never stated it was "earth shattering". You are the one who brought that into the discussion.

Clearly, the article I linked supports the view that we, as a nation, are contributing to the amount of waste in our oceans, irrespective of whether it forms part of that large island or not and irrespective of the source. To focus on that part alone is simply picking that part that supports your argument, whilst ignoring the rest of the pollution problem. My concern is not just with the amount of plastic (and other waste) that ends up in the oceans, it is also about the amount of plastic and waste that ends up in our environment; whether that be ocean, forest or in our earth. I'm interested in reducing my impacts on the whole environment form something that will never biodegrade.

Quote:
I spend a lot of time on the water.
I could be wrong, but its my personal observations that most breweries have moved to cardboard packaging (at least for glass?) Certainly the plastic packing, and 6-pack yokes (previously?) used for cans, was an extremely dangerous form of litter. One of the remaining problems is the brightly coloured plastic lids from soft-drink bottles. Very attractive, and often fatal, to sea-life.
Hard to believe it, but I actually agree with you on this point

In my view, any steps that we can practically take to reduce the amount of plastic that ends up being disposed of in our environment is a good thing.

Quote:
But the fact remains, that this is a litter problem. It doesn't matter what my waste is composed of, at the end of the day it comes ashore and goes in the bin. Trying to stop bogan-trash from littering by controlling the use of shopping bags is a thoroughly pointless exercise.
The irony is, that if you let them keep their plastic bag, they might just use it to store their rubbish, and put it in the bin at the end of the day.
As per above points, I don't agree. I see the plastic bag issue as being a much bigger issue than just littering. I see the banning of single-use plastic bags as being the first step in a long process to reduce our reliance (over use?) on plastic.And just because a person does not have a plastic shopping bag does not mean they can't, or shouldn't, do the right thing and dispose of it appropriately.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by PG2; 19-07-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Has been addressed
3 users like this post: