View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #185
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
I think banning all plastics would be great.

Look, I get the scepticism around this. But, from my perspective, this is just the first step in a very looooong process to be able to reduce our reliance on a substance that never disappears, and at the end of the day, once it is used, it is disposed of. There has to be a point where we stop and have a look to see what impact our decisions as a race is having on our environment. The environment that currently sustains this race's life. Is it worth upsetting the imbalance over? Or can we take some steps to limit our impact now whilst we haven't upset that balance?
Replace plastic with glass

Would you ban glass?

Glass takes 1-2 million years to break down.
We don't make it in the volume of plastic but otoh we have been making it for 5,000 years.
Do you think glass creates an imbalance similar to plastic?

If not, why not?

Not saying glass and plastic are exactly the same but on your argument above they are similar.

My point being that no one complains about glass. No environmentalists run round asking for a glass ban.

If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

The real question is why are we banning single use plastic bags? Because they are disposable and we don't like that, or is it the litter issue, the potential impact on wildlife, the resource consumption, all of the above, or something else?

No one considers that consumers may replace bags with even worse environmentally friendly solutions it is just assumed that the change will be beneficial.
2 users like this post: