View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #13
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Brokoen bolt on engine mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler View Post
Well I'm glad some of you guys found it easy! I've just had a bastard of a time getting one out - and it was the easy one! (Front passenger side) Broke two Ezyouts - and that was after drilling all the way through the bolt and squirting WD40 up into it and letting it sit overnight to soak through. The bastard was seized tight and took a special splined 6mm stud remover and a breaker bar to finally get out.

I still have the rear one to tackle and am slowly drilling it out with an extension bar and a hex-key drill bit.

If you have to do this, do yourself a favour and centre-punch the bolt to get the drill bit centred and then drill a pilot hole and gradually enlarge it until you have a 6mm hole drilled and use a corresponding Ezyout to crack it.

You may be lucky and be able to get yours out with a 4mm hole/Ezyout, but if it doesn't feel like its coming, go the next size up.

Apart from being rusted in there, I reckon the mount pounding on the sheared bolt when it broke nailed it in there nice and tight.

The next job (after getting the rear bolt out) is to find a decent flanged 7/16" grade 8 bolt to replace the original. Ford don't sell them anymore, and you can bet that - like me - if you replace an AU V8 engine mount with another bolt from the wreckers, it will be fatigued and probably break (this is the second time I've had to do this job).
A tip that would have made your job easier. Instead of using WD40 use Rostoff made by Wurth. I can buy it from Repco but if you cant get it from a local store it is available from Ebay.

This stuff is 20 times better than WD40. Penetrates much quicker and literally dissolves rust. Get some you will never be without it once you have used it
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: