View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 05:51 AM   #32
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: Making a 6 cyl cross flow sound like a v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
Extractors a big exhaust and a mild cam usually makes an old crossy sound v8ish at idle its when you step on the loud pedal that illusion disapears and they make a distinct sound that 250's make. Imho i would either embrace the sound of the 6 or go for a V8.
Absolutely agree with you. Everything plays a part in the sound quality, yet, the fact of the matter is, an I6 with a 120* cross plane crank will give an exhaust pulse based on that 120* crank journal separation.

In all honesty I think is is a beautiful sound note.

A 90* cross plane crank in a 90* V8 will give a pulse note based on that.

These differences ensure neither will ever sound the exact same as the other.

The 250 Chevelle sounded sweet and to be honest I have a soft spot for GTOs, Chevelles, Cutlass/442s and GSs. My first car was a '65 389 GTO convertible 4 speed car and my Mom drove a '66 Chevelle then a '72. BTW, she is the one who introduced me to drag racing at a very young age with her '50 Chevy fastback.

Yet, you caught that the earlier vid did not record high revs. Had that happened, what you described would happen. The sweet symphony of an I6.

To try to approximate the rumble sound at song, looking at the very good picture of the Chevelles headers paints the picture. Based on the firing order of that engine, a 120* separation, ensuring a sweet symphony will come from that engine at full song.

Take 1 pipe from the rear 3 and move to the front 3 then match with taking 1 pipe from the front 3 and move to the rear 3 and rumble separated by a 240* offset from each of the 2 exhaust banks will occur at song.

Not exactly like a V8, but a rumble.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: