View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #11
Shockworks

Default Re: Shockworks 6 pot alloy calliper upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Looks a very impressive package. With the critical aspect of braking integrity, have you sorted out the cracking that occurred to the floating rotors at the stud jointure area.

Have you redesigned the floating stud so that it is not "open" on the front hat side causing forces to be transmitted through the stud resulting in cracking of the disc.

Comments on any design changes to the disc and hat stud joints since the failures involving members of this forum would be appreciated.

I am genuinely interested in a braking upgrade for my car, but I have to be confident that the calipers and rotors will not crumble at 220 kph...

Would be appreciated if you can provide some detailed engineering design info or photos to quell fears...
At this stage we will not be offering the floating disc option with the 6 pot brake upgrade.
We have had two discs with the floating assembly show some small cracks which were using the Brembo caliper and unknown competition pads. Inspection showed uneven wear on inside of disc resulting in excess heat of the inner disc area. We are still using the floating disc on our test cars and many race cars with no issues at all from any other discs or vehicles.
Our test car with the 6 pot calipers and 355 floating disc has been on track for three months. At the Island we are achieving 270kph down the front straight and 252kph at Sandown and running 12-15 lap sessions with no brake fade or any other issues slowing the car at these speeds.
The floating assembly we supply is also used on the top level V8 racecars in Korea for the past 6 years with no cracking or stress related problems apart from normal wear.
We do not see the need to redesign any of the floating assembly as it has proven to be very robust and durable long term in many performance applications.
We test all designs on a brake dyno at the Delphi corporation including the floating disc as part of our engineering requirements.

Cheers
Brett
Shockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
9 users like this post: