View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 01:17 AM   #30
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New 40 km speed limit NSW when blue & red lights are flashing on roadside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
They introduced slowmo in perth over a double demerit long weekend, people were crapping themselves, all went back to normal within a month though, no one slows down.

I don't think much thought was put into the whole scheme, if I want to slow traffic in a work zone I need to submit a plan and then stick to the rules pre determined by a traffic engineer, 3 advanced warnings at set distances in relation to the speed limit and so on. This is to slow traffic in a controlled manner not law of the jungle, whoever has the best brakes wins.

Then theres incidents like the one I saw early in the laws introduction. Tow truck driver pulls over, puts his flashing lights on, as you do and almost drummed up some work as everyone bricked it and layed on the anchors... all while he's having a chat on his phone, calling his tow'y mates I presume.
Rally Sport's comments are well reflected.
(In WA we have to apply SLOWMO also for yellow lights, including RAC roadside assistance on the road shoulder, as well as the tow truck mentioned.)

Another relevant comment above was about the reaction time. You could almost have passed the emergency vehicle before having enough seconds to safely slow down. In addition I have experienced that not everyone are aware of SLOWMO (or respect SLOWMO), and when slowing down (in a safe rate) I found that some annoyed drivers behind you will shift lane in order to speed up again.

I also wonder how police will enforce this new law, will they put out 'simulated' emergencies, and stand there with laser guns or deploy the new LIDAR space capsule, in order to catch anyone going above 40?

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote