Thread: Hoist placement
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2022, 10:49 PM   #1
syco26
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Hoist placement

Need some advise from those that have hoists in their sheds.

I have just grabbed a 4.5t 2 post and looking at where to put it. Between two minds at the moment with the location to install it so need some advice.

My shed is 9m x 12m x 3.6 at the eaves. Car entry is via two roller doors on the 9m side with one PA door on the right hand side of the shed.

I plan to get a 4 post at some stage as well to give me extra storage space.

So dilemma one, do I put the 2 post in the bay I currently use the most to access the shed with the car (the left bay) or the other side? This bay currently has two cars in there. The other bay (right bay and closets to the PA door) currently has a car in the middle of a rebuild and a “gym” set up.

Dilemma number two. The instructions have a heap of room at the rear and front of the hoist. Says it needs 3.6m from the middle to the nearest obstacle behind and 4m from the middle to the nearest obstacle to the front. I think this is far too much. If I install it as recommended I will always have to clear cars out to get one up in the air. I was thinking of parking our longest car in the bay, give a little extra room then mark just in front of middle and install the hoist there. That way I can still leave a car parked in front while using the hoist.

What are your thoughts. Am I looking at this the wrong way? Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I have never had a hoist in my shed.

Thanks in advance.
syco26 is offline   Reply With Quote