View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #56
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NBN so far, whats your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
FTTN is essentially like lots of mini exchanges (nodes) dotted around suburbs, typically you'll find a light green cabinet located next to those phone line distribution poles, I believe the phone tech comes out and taps your copper wire in that pole to the NBN cabinet
Node cabinets are usually near the pillar that feeds an area, however in some cases they are no where near the pillar and results in excessive copper length.

Quote:
FTTC is fibre from that NBN cabinet, up the street to a pit, then copper from that pit to your house for the last 'hop'.
Close. FTTC fibre does not come from a FTTN cabinet. In fact the only difference in the fibre run between FTTP and FTTC is where the fibre ends at or near the premises

Quote:
I see FTTN as a much faster/cheaper way to get higher speeds to homes with the ability to progressively move to the ultimate FTTP as smart in Australia given our sp****ness
extending fibre from the node to the premises won’t give you the same speeds as FTTP as the nodes only have 2 fibres connecting them back into the network and are speed limited. There are some good network diagrams that show the various FTTx variants.

FTTN is a waste of everyone’s time and money. The only benefit is allowing more premises to be connected quicker, however even that is questionable due to the delay when the libs took over and directed NBN to stop.
We have 10s of thousands of nodes that have batteries that will require replacing every 5 years, active equipment that requires power and can fail resulting in outages and requires the crappy distribution copper network which leaves far too many withsub ADSL2+ speeds.

Off my soapbox now.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: