View Single Post
Old 28-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #59
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
It has a "Flash Count" reset on the unit. Every time you reset it to the stock tune the flash counter returns to zero on the ECU.

And if anything does break, ford has to prove the edit caused the failure. AND then if they do, Bluefin give you a warranty to cover the costs. (Though not sure on the fine print)

I don’t mean to pi5s on anybody parade here but I feel compelled to pass on my knowledge and experience re this when I see people making statements about what Ford can or can’t find in their ECU’s.

The Flash Count theory is just one part of the problem, the other is the VIN lock code that the Bluefin (and all the rest) use to identify the vehicle that the unit is mated to. This code is what Ford will be able to find if they look. The dealers do not have the full version software so they cannot find it, only the Factory software engineers have the ability to fully download everything from the ECU including the VIN lock code. If they download the data from your ECU than there is a chance they may find the code, if so your power train warrantee is G.A.W.N. gone, period! No ifs, buts or maybe's. In the event of this happening to you, you can expect a letter from Ford stating the reason for the warranty being rejected in these words…… PCM Modifications!
Contrary to popular belief Ford do not have to prove that the modifications to the ECU caused the problem, they simply will not discuss it, and if you really want to push it than you will have to sue them for the cost of repairs and I think we all know who will win that little war.
Now the likelihood of this ever going that far is highly remote but do not kid yourself the risk is very, very real. I guess the good thing is that these power increases are relatively minor so the chances of you doing any real damage is slight and I haven’t read anything about these modifications actually causing any major breakages. By comparison the Falcon Turbo 6 can be doubled in power with less than $4,000 and that level of increase does cause some very expensive breakages.

The real concern is if you are unlucky enough to have a fault in the engine that causes some major damage, as was the case in my experience; it’s only than that the software engineers may be called in to have a 'closer' look.

There are plenty of stories around about modified cars being repaired under warranty, but there just as many stories about the ones that have been rejected due to the modifications.

The lesson here is simple, if you play you must be ‘prepared’ to pay.

Good luck, enjoy you car.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote