View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #28
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Army Night Flying - Sydney 07-03-2019

It's my nature to strive for a considerate approach. I'm the tradesman who generally advises neighbours of upcoming noise/dust/disruption and this is usually met with appreciation; people do vary their plans if they see a conflict - or they might come back with a fair request which I'll take to my employer to seek compromise.

The area over which these helicopters repeatedly flew, was clearly a "sensible choice" for novice pilots. It offers proximity to major features (ie, for observation whilst flying) without the risk of a crash affecting them. It's also an area with comparatively low value in economic terms; if you carpet bombed it the economy would barely flutter - expendable in the sense of a worst-case crash or collision scenario and accessible to emergency personnel. I accept that without any feeling of offence; it's fair cop. There are other parts of Sydney which might be similarly good practice but the risk of someone having a pop at them is probably much greater!

I did chuckle at the suggestion of flying similarly over the Eastern suburbs, nine passes at 150m without warning, exactly over Frank Lowy's house? I can't see it happening, a call would be made after the second or third time...

There are two local papers delivered weekly around my way, one a Murdoch rag and the other an indie which would have been sufficiently excited about this event, to put an advance notice on the front page and likely flesh it out with a backstory and photos. I do skim both these journals as I consider it my responsibility to remain informed - it's where there is notice of road/traffic changes, major demolitions, civic events and other things which are part of our urban mesh.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: