View Single Post
Old 18-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

If im reading it right, the guy bought 3 cars, and gave one to you as a gift?
Or you bought 3 leaving 2 at his place which you or he sold, and you took one immediately?

Leaving out things like Statute of Limitations etc as it wont get that far I dont think. 7 yrs he hasnt paid a dollar to storage, Id say at best he has abandoned the car. Let him try, you dont need to worry about it IMO. It will cost him $$$ to get advice and start a proceeding. At which point, the costs of storage (I assume from the words 'at your expense') means youre paying to store it, will sink any argument against your claim. Why would you pay to store his car for years? Alternatively, why would you store his car at your house if he has room to store it at his own place?

Does he have a receipt saying he bought it? Id doubt that after that many years, but you never know some people are hoarders. If he is holding a receipt that says he bought it, that doesnt mean he didnt sell or gift it to you. I think the lady at the cop shop has it right. I dont think he has a leg to stand on.

But as said, if youre worried about pouring in your dollars to fix it, seek legal advice. Theres enough free legal services around.

Stat decs are used in Qld to transfer an unreg car without a bill of sale, no idea in NSW but would assume something similar.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote