View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #40
Danny
GT4.

Default Re: hot hatches - opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Precisely why you don't want a Euro, they are money pits and it's the sole reason why people turn them over regularly.
I have only owned Volvos so I only see a small piece of the whole servicing game but that badge is damn expensive to carry around.
My rule of thumb with them is if you're going to plonk $120k on one you will need half that for again servicing if you want to keep it for 10 years. I had a roo recently break the glass in the right hand wing mirror. Get this, only the glass (mirror) needed replacing not the whole housing, motors etc were in perfect working order - the cost - $2000. The reason - the glass has a demister built in.

To your earlier question - yes Focus RS are made in Germany but have Ford pricing-servicing although it will still be relatively expensive to keep running because of what it is. Complex AWD, powerful donk etc.

So you may think diff bushes in an F6 are expensive but then think about a $2k mirror in an Audi for a comparison.
Falcons r cheap and go like stink for fun.

Honestly the FGX was the bargain of the century when new, now you can find low km versions on the 2nd hand market.
The cash you save on the purchase price alone will run the car for 10 years.

I'm not trying to put you off Audi/Merc/anyone else but you need to look at these Euros with your eyes wide open and understand the real cost of ownership.
Psst. It does not cost 6 grand a year on servicing for a brand new car that costs 120k....

The FGX was an engine with a poorly equipped car around it and a 15 year old 6 speed auto. Honestly to some, it doesn't represent good value, because it's equipped like a soviet Russian limo. This hysterical notion that some of you fearmongering falcon blokes peddle about euros costing 10k per service or (insert small part name here) is largely unfounded (well, for the more "accessible" European cars anyway). I've been through a few of them too.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: