View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
WhistleBeGone
Starter Motor

Default Re: 1990 Laser TX3 whining/whistling sound when revving

Thanks for the reply - it's great to get some help on this. I probably don't know enough to try your suggestions myself but I will pass them onto Ford and see if they are able to fix things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Sounds like a possible vacuum leak somewhere
Could you expand on this? Is it something that could of occurred as a result of the head gasket and other parts being replaced?

Quote:
or the timing belt is whining. to eliminate a timing belt, loosen the top timing cover back, spray a little lube on the belt and see if noise goes away. It wont last long as the lube will wear off the belt quickly, but will let you know if thats the concern.
Will definitely pass this onto Ford.

Quote:
The belt can also rub against the metal plate that sits on the crank pulley behind the belt. That needs to be replaced in conjunction with the belt.
Are you saying that this metal plate should also have been replaced? My repair invoice lists a few more items:
- v belt
- vrs kit
- timing kit
Are any of those what you are referring to?

Quote:
Also do the same with the normal drive belts or take off and see if noise is gone. If noise goes it could be the belt(s) or a pulley or the belt being over tensioned and putting load on a pulley bearing.
Again, will pass this onto Ford.
WhistleBeGone is offline   Reply With Quote