View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #46
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Living in Tasmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I spent a week in Launceston in July of this year. It was cold, the city was very quiet and it had only a few good restaurants (many not open) but it was better than I expected. I been there and all over Tassie a few times and will go back again for holiday visits.

BTW , remember, if you don't want to seen as an outsider Launceston is more correctly pronounced "Lonston" although you'll get away with 'Lonceston" or just "Lonny".

I also love Tassie especially the scenery. I also don't mind the snow and cold. But one thing stops me living there; it is the only state where I have regularly experienced outright rude in my face racists comments about being in the company of my adopted Filipino children. It never happens in any other state. This has happened numerous times and although the people in charge of the related cafe and hotels have always apologised and kicked the offenders out I could not live there and put up with this bigotry. While the problem seems to be with a minority of rednecks in the population, and most Tasmanians are polite and friendly, I could not tolerate it long term. It does appear to have a very insular population and if you look at the demographics of Tasmanian you'll will also see where some of these insular views may have come from. (See http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@....4?OpenDocument ) They have fewer people by percentage of population of Asian and Irish country of birth (I thing think all the Irish prisoner of the colonial era fled to Victoria as soon as they could) than other states for example but more by percentage from US, South Africa and the Netherlands. There is also of course no real indigenous population. It may also be climate related of course in terms of what deters people from mainly warmer parts of the world moving to Tasmania. Surprisingly though, Tasmania seems to have more Indian curry restaurants than any other Australian State (they seem to be everywhere both in Hobart and Lonny - the cold weather I guess). It is noticeably slowly improving as more people from other State move there and the population becomes more cosmopolitan but it still has a way to go.

Oh I also have to say Lonny has the most well behaved cyclists of any state; driving up the Tamar Hwy each morning I found the many groups of cyclists were always in single file and keeping left; that wouldn't happen in Perth. It also less than a days drive to lots of spectacular tourist sites like Cradle Mountain.
Boy go to Asia and you will see real racism going on 24/7 just between the Asians for a start. they are entitled to there own opinions, so It does not bother me at all, I am sure they know what they are talking about.
The women don't like going out into the sun they cover up to try keep there skin lighter.

I have never been to Tas but the ones I know directly say openly that there are many inbreed and half whits down there.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote