View Single Post
Old 18-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #51
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Labor's Pitch to save Mechanic Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Local Volvo franchise charge $200 to hook the laptop up to a truck.
A private workshop will recoup the initial outlay for the laptop, software and annual fees while charging less than half that in no time. None of the pirated Volvo software we tried seemed to of worked.

But what I’m getting at is there are ways around it for one band band/private garages.So yeah, I don’t get what the issue is. Unless I’m reading it wrong it’s just a storm in a teacup. Is Shorten trying to gain votes by ‘sticking’ it to those evil corporations?

Re post 41. You’re correct but I think thats the reputation and misconception VTNZ have relied on since day one. May have been true back in the day. From my experience they are unrealistic when it comes to vehicle defects. By the book, too anal. Some people and families don’t have the financial ability to drive some thing more than a $1500 AU or Camry etc. so when they take it to VTNZ and the unreasonable inspector fails it on a cracked indicator lense, slightly frayed seatbelt, surface rust on steel brake lines, moisture (not leaking) at the ends of the steering rack, rust bubble at the door/windscreen rubber, to name a few, the repair bill stacks up and some people cant afford that sort of repair costs for something that isn’t really a safety issue. WOFs are good easy coin for private garages. $50 per check, which can be done in half hour. They don’t want to burn repeat customers.
Ok, take the politics out, it's a non issue.

Look at agriculture where all this stuff is locked down.

We can no longer repair anything, there are no manuals anymore. A couple of manuals have been stuck on the web for our model. Great if you can read Lithuanian.

We had a tractor stuck in the shed with an inoperative pto, we couldn't find the problem so called in the local mechanic who said sorry nothing I can do. They are now computer controlled and independent mechanics have been locked out of any software/hardware diagnostics.
If we want it fixed it would have to be trucked to perth to their hq. Not an option for various reasons. These are big, wide machines.

Or pay an exorbitant fee to have them come on farm.

After hitting the old boys network, we finally came up with some ideas. Ended up being a slipping alternator belt, that's where the computer was getting it's engine speed from and it wasn't correlating with the ground radar.

Now that slipping belt was going to cost us many thousands of dollars if Case IH had their way, they can charge what they like as they have NO competition.

What these companies want to do is strip all access to their documentation and shut you down so they can enjoy a monopoly.

It HAS happened in agriculture and now they want to do it to you and after trucks they will start targeting cars.

Independents are more than happy to pay for the access but the manufacturers want their monopoly. I note the prices aren't coming down with their new found wealth.

Ideally we would sell and go to another manufacturer but they are now operating like a cartel.

When you have to say to every customer who walks into your shop "sorry I can't help" you won't have a job for long.

Currently it's not a problem for you, that's how we want to keep it.

I hope that helps.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 18-05-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: