Thread: Fuel Taxes
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #22
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: Fuel Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul22 View Post
I would think that arriving at a comparable charge for EVs would be by way of a (perhaps complex) calculation of the fuel excise per litre against kilometres travelled for that litre of fuel. This would be averaged for fairness. Then, using that calculation, apply the charge to KwH used/purchased. This could be done through the charger which would read your odometer whilst assessing the charge state/condition of your battery when you connect. For those of whom that would only use home chargers they could be required to use a registered charging station either monthly, quarterly, half yearly or annually - whatever the user prefers - to gather an odometer reading to assess the fee. I reckon you'll find that every service station is existence today will offer charging points. This would be charged to the card offered for payment. One thing is for certain the gov't will have an answer and if we don't get involved in the assessment process we will be paying more than the equivalent today.
personally I think they will hit you up at rego time, klm's travelled per year.. (user pays)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote