View Single Post
Old 20-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Id like to do it, but Ive heard for the first 100km's or so the car runs like a pig and stalls. I think a big highway drive after any mods would have the same benefit.
I had this issue - it's all about the ECU relearning the 'stall' points - where it needs to boost the revs when it's under extra load - use of air con etc...

So after you follow the standard reset procedure:
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.aufalcon.com
- Reset Computer by disconnecting battery (Take off the positive terminal lead)
- When power is re-connected, start car and idle in this sequence
- 2 minutes idling with the transmission in drive and A/C on.
- 2 minutes idling with the transmission in drive and A/C off.
- 2 minutes idling with the transmission in neutral and A/C on.
- 2 minutes idling with the transmission in neutral and A/C off.
- Drive the car on the road, for at least 5 minutes under variable throttle positions.
What I found was that it took a couple of days driving (around 100kms) before it really settled down - whilst driving around, I found that the longer I was sitting at idle (at lights etc), it was almost like you could 'feel' the engine learning again...but obviously it's not healthy to let the engine idle for 20 minutes in one hit...

I had the engine stall on me a couple of times (while going around corners, which wasn't fun since the power steering and brake booster die as well - made for some hairy moments!), but generally the more idling you do, the faster the ECU learns where the idle points are...

I found when I did mine, suddenly the car felt a lot more responsive and smoother. Probably fair to say that the effects wear off once the engine 'relearns' everything, but FWIW, I reckon it's fine to do - especially after you've done any mods, should let the engine start afresh and relearn everything under the 'modded' system....

Reminds me, I should probably do mine again, hasn't been done since I had headers, cat and exhaust put in