View Single Post
Old 26-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #19
Trendseeker

Default Re: Keeping valuables safe at the beach

One of the potential issues of leaving your keys in or on your car is: will the insurance company pay a claim if the car is stolen?

I’ve used a Surflock in the past but I stopped using it a couple of years ago after the local paper reported that a few surfers and swimmers had had their cars stolen. I used to attach it to the suspension spring so that it wasn’t visible to anyone walking by, but I’ve seen quite a few attached to the tow bar, which just seems to me to be tempting thieves. The other thing with the surflock is that it has only 10,000 possible combinations. Most surfers are away from their car for at least an hour, and assuming that a thief could try one combination per second, he has a 36% chance of cracking the combination while you’re away. Although if he has bolt cutters and it’s on your tow bar, it could be cut off in a few seconds.

I moved on to taking the key with me. I got a key cut for my Territory that opened the door and started the engine without needing a fob. Mr Minute cut it for about $80 from memory. I attached it to the loop in my board shorts pocket and then slipped it into one of those small vinyl cases that hold a few business cards. The idea was just to stop it moving around in the pocket and to keep the point of the key from poking through. It worked well and there was never an issue and it was good to know that the key was out of reach of thieves.

Unfortunately, my new car doesn’t have the option of using a key to start the engine so I’m looking to take the electronic fob into the water in a small waterproof bag. I’ve bought one of these: https://aquapac.net/store/shop/dryba...of-bag-wallet/

I think I’ll get a spare fob first and try it out the first time while my wife is minding the spare on the beach.